Yesterday evening we discovered a "gift" from our dog. Apparently he decided to eat the remains of a dead squirrel that my kids had thrown into the bonfire the day before. To clarify, the squirrel was already dead; drowned in my parents' pool, but it made for an exciting leaf pile burning experience.
Anyways, back to the "gift."
90% of my downstairs is hardwood. He decided to give us the dead squirrel and the charcoal he had ingested on the 10% that is carpet. Isn't there a saying about a family that dry-heaves together stays together??
Needless to say, I had a wee bit of an attitude about the condition of my floors as I went to sleep last night.
A picture of us with our char-squirrel-eating nemesis.
This morning I awoke to some devastating news. One of my dear childhood friends experienced something we all hope to never have to face: her house burned to the ground last night as they slept. She and her family were spared, but nothing was left.
As I mopped my floors and scrubbed my carpet, I found myself actually thankful. Thankful for floors to clean, toilets to scrub, and pets to love. Thankful for the treasures we hold dear.
Please pray for my friend. Her husband is a pastor in Rock Hill, SC. They have two daughters that will surely be traumatized. It's such a hard thing to grasp, but I know they are being showered with love and care by their church family. I ask you to pray for peace, wisdom, and comfort as they deal with it all.
Suddenly dirty floors feel like a blessing.