January 28, 2013

DIY Canvas Geometric Art


I have searched high and low for bright, happy art.  It is hard to come by, especially on a budget.  I've seen a couple of geometric patterns online but I wasn't crazy about the dark colors.  I decided to try my hand at it.

This project takes a little time, but it is worth it in the end.  The hardest part, for me, was the math.  Lucky for you, I've already figured it out and you can just use my measurements. :)
 I started with an 18x24 canvas.  AC Moore had a sale right after Christmas and this size was 3/$10.  Score!
Place a thumbtack underneath each corner.  This will help you keep your paint from sticking the canvas to your workspace. 


Using acrylic paints, liberally cover the canvas with your base color (white). 

Use a ruler and a level to find the center of the canvas.  Draw the lines with a pencil.

 Now measure and mark every 2" from the center lines.  Your canvas will then look like giant graph paper.

 Using a compass, draw 2" circles with the center point being the cross section of the squares of the "graph."  Overlap the circles as shown below.
  When you finish, it will look like this:

I decided that the predominant colors would be blues and greens, with warm colors mixed in.  Therefore, I started with the green, randomly painting different "leaves."
 I didn't pre-plan the color pattern.  It really is just RaNdoM.  The only rule I followed was that no two leaves of the same color could touch each other.  I used 3 shades of green and 5 shades of blues, adding a poppy red, tangerine orange, butter yellow, and a pink.
Once I finished with the colors (two coats each) I erased my "graph lines" and painted the centers with white to smooth it all out.  I also used white to clean up the edges of the canvas.  As you can see, it's not perfect, but hey, it's art!
This is my HAPPY WALL

Linking up with:
Craft-OManiac, Keeping It Simple, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Homemade On a Dime, Under the Table Dreaming, Skip to My Lou, Flamingo Toes, 504 Main, DIY Home Sweet Home, Girl Creative, Today's Creative Blog, Home Stories A to Z, The Dedicated House, Coastal Charm, A Bowl Full of Lemons

11 comments:

ashley said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Richella Parham said...

Gretchen, this is REALLY cool! What a great, HAPPY work of art! :)

Carly said...

This is so beautiful! I love it!

The Preppy Strawberry said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing your tips .. I might have to give this one a try! ;) stopping by from the girl creative - linky party!

Unknown said...

I love this, so fantastic!! Great job!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

So bright & fun!!

Anonymous said...

Sooo Cute! I love it! Thanks for the inspiration. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

Little Oak Table said...

Aww, soooo cute!!!!

Amy said...

Wow...I'm definitely going to have to try this!!

Emily said...

This is gorgeous!! I don't think I've owned a compass since High School. I'll have to go out and buy one so I can make this! :) Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower. Visiting from Skip to My Lou.

~Emily @ Texas Life Bog.

Tracey said...

A whole new level of coolness!

Love this!