September 22, 2008

Room Makeover

If you like long posts with lots of pictures, this is your day!

When we built our house almost seven years ago, our children were babies.  The design of our house had a formal front living room.  We didn't need another living area and my husband already had his 'trophy room' office.  Instead, we put french doors on the room and turned it into our play room.  It was perfect.  We could keep the toys (relatively) in the same area of the house, the kids could be close by enough that I could keep an eye on them while I worked in the kitchen, and we could close the doors and ignore the mess ... sort of.
For 5 years that room remained builder's beige.

I finally decided to paint it green:
And then we added beautiful bookcases:
The yellow curtains were some I had made with left over fabric when we first moved in.  They were cute and added some color to the builder beige.  Not so great with the green, though.

But I had a vision.  
I knew when I painted the walls green what the future held.  I chose the green to accent the black and white room I dreamt about.  Black. White. Green. Dreamy.
But I needed to be patient.  
I waited.
And waited.
I waited until my babies were big enough to have their toys up in their rooms.  I waited until I found the perfect black and white fabric to make fabulous curtains.  I waited until I could find that fabric on sale for $7 a yard.  I drove to another state for that fabric to find me.  Then I waited for my first paycheck this school year to buy the rods and rings to hang them on.
And it was well worth the wait!
Do you see that magnificent mirror to the right?
THAT was the ultimate find from my girlie weekend away.
We found it at a furniture warehouse out in the middle of Nowhere, SC.
Guess how much?!  Guess!

$30
The mirror is so heavy it took toggle bolts (whatever that means.. but thanks, honey).
 
I had so much fun decorating my bookshelves.  Most of the stuff I already had sitting around the house.  Pulling it all together was like a big scavenger hunt!  See that cute clock at the bottom?  It doesn't usually sit there, but I added it for the picture (just keepin' it real).  It is another treasure from my girlie weekend away.  It has a face on both sides!
Here is my famous teacart.
The finishing touches are so fun.  I love bunnies.  And birds.  Can you see the title of the book this bunny is resting on?  It's The Bluebird and the Sparrow.
How appropriate!
I wanted this room to have a French flair.  My mom and I spent a few weeks in France before I started having bebes.  It holds a very dear place in my heart.  
So I added my French sign.  
Have you ever been to a patisserie?  Oui?  
It is a french bakery.  
Everything is delectable and fattening.  Perfect, deadly combination.
Moving on:
My french plate and my fleur-de-lis plaque (from 'le Hobbeu Lobbeu).
The picture that hangs above the teacart is of a french cafe'.  Bon' appetit!


And the last picture of the day:
This is the birdcage that I have searched high and low for.  I have scoured every 2nd hand store in NC looking for one.  I found it TODAY!  Oh the joy!  A treasure!
An eight dollar gem!  Yes.  $8.  It was a little dirty.  But a wet towel, some black plaid ribbon and a little nest later ...  perfecto!  (oops... is that french or italian?)

au revoir!!!

34 comments:

The Berry's Patch said...

OMGosh what a makeover. It's beautiful!! The black and green look so good. Did your husband make those shelves? They look so nice against the green. Love the french accents. Great job! I could go on and on...

Heather @ Home said...

Gorgeous! Loving the black/white/green combo.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

WOW!! What a great room transformation! I love it all. The details are just what I would do!! :)

Lacy said...

This one has to be a top notch post!!! Absolutely perfecto!!!! Love it and love your witty charm in the desciption!!!

AJ said...

I love it ALL. The green, the black, the curtains! I would kill to have some bookshelves like that! I think my daughter has the sister to your secretary desk:)

Lori said...

It's so pretty! I love the green! Although I have to admit...I use Google reader, and for a minute I thought I was reading the Nester's post. Oops! :) I especially love the black curtains and teacart.

Anonymous said...

Your new room is beautiful! Isn't it so peaceful when you have a finished room? I know you stand in there and just soak it all up. We do that with our office we just finished. You guys did a wonderful job! Love the green/black combo :)


-Hayley

trish said...

Good Morning,
What a beautiful home you have. It is so welcoming and warm. Your colors are lovely and I am slightly jealous of your birdhouse find! I too am scouring thrift stores on a regular basis.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Marie said...

What a fantastic room! I love the colors! The fabric you used for the curtains is very pretty. Perfect find. :o)

Unknown said...

Can I come check in for the afternoon? Looks so relaxing. I love the colors. Enjoy your "new" room.
Love,
Suz

B. said...

The black and green look really good together.... I would have not thought it! I might steal your idea....

Anonymous said...

I just painted my kitchen/dining area this color & I love it! Aren't things so much sweeter when you wait for the perfect fit & stick with your budget! It's absolutely beautiful. Jen

Kimba said...

Oh, it's just beautiful! You did such a fantastic job. Great colors!

I love the new look for your blog too.

Kimba

Carry Grace said...

This room was so worth the wait! It is stunning. I love the colors.

Kimba said...

Hi! I'd like to link to this post on Saturday if that's OK with you.

createacraft said...

it looks beautiful..
bright and airy..
enjoy your new dining room..
I am the same in istanbul.. looking for an old bird cage.. I haven't come up with one yet..
wish me good luck too..

loves..

Kitty Scraps said...

Your room is lovely! So pretty and I love the touches of French flair too. I wonder if we've scoured the same second hand shops as I'm an NC/SC girl too...Thanks for sharing your gorgeous room!

southerninspiration said...

Your wait was WELL worth it....I'd love to move into a room like that. It is charming. Now I'm off to read about the fabulous teacart...oh, and I do love Hobbeau Lobbeau!! love it, in fact!

Heather Anne said...

Patience really paid off for you - your room is fantastic and you feel really good about the way it pulled together - which is even better! Great job!

duchess said...

What a great room & the bookcases are beautiful.
Black, white & green are my favorite colors - check out my blog for proof.

Mom in High Heels said...

Tres magnifique! J'adore noir, le blanc et le vert!
When we finish our move (ugh!) I plan on doing our living room in black and white, but wasn't sure what color for the walls. Now I'm thinking green! You've picked such a lovely shade. BTW, I've got a stash of b&w fabric, just waiting for their new home. ;)

nikkicrumpet said...

Love the colors you used. It is the PERFECT makeover. The bookcases are gorgeous and I love all your little touches. It turned out so wonderful. I bet you get a huge grin on your face everytime you walk in this room!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I think this is my first time by here (via Kimba). What a great makeover! And oh my...I see bunnies, birds, black/white & green...some of my alltime faves too. I do the same thing you do..wait for it to come to me & it usually works out well.

I love everything about your room! I will have to come back again to visit & please come & visit me.

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

*** What a delightful blog you've created here! ~~~ and a delightful, light-hearted personality comes shining thru your wonderful home! What a pleasure to see and read! Thank you! Linda/RMS "Mom of a German Shorthair"

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful room makeover! It's truly beautiful! You're a very patient lady and patience is a Godly vertue!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

The Stylish House said...

I love the colors, fresh, soothing and sophisticated! Thank you for sharing...Cathy

Linda Q said...

Love your built ins and this is a really great makeover. Thanks, fun to see.
Linda Q

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

What a great room. I love the white and the black against the green. Perfect color combination. I liked all that you did. You seem to have a beautiful knack for putting everything together.
Great post.
Blessings,
Debbie

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Love all the French touches to your room, and there is nothing like a French patisserie - mille feuilles, réligieuses, croissants, Paris brest, oh, là là...Linda

Domestic Designer said...

I love your room. I especially love the colors you choose. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

C'est parfait! (It's perfect)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I love your built in book shelves. The green paint on the walls is beautiful with your white shelves. I like the idea of black accents. You have quite a gift for putting it all together.

susan said...

Your patience and vision rally paid off. I especially love those bookcases!

Charlene said...

Loved the change! It doesn't even look like the same room. I am sure you will enjoy using this room a lot!