1. I took a profile shot of each child in the same position, distance and height. The hardest part (aside from trying to keep them from smiling) was keeping 3 pictures equal in distance.
2. Printed each photo onto regular (not photo) paper, in the size I wanted the silhouette to be.
3. Cut the profile out, very carefully.
4. Trace the profile onto black cardstock.
5. Cut the black paper with very good scissors.
My original thought was for these to be Christmas ornaments, so I found some lightweight pressed wood rectangles at the craft store, painted them white, and added tiny eye screws to the top. With a little black sheer ribbon, they were done.
Hmm... I wish I had made myself a set. Maybe that will be my own mother's day gift.