February 19, 2009

10 Minute Makeover

With a few days of spring-like weather, along came my desire to clean and feather my nest. The cleaning happened, but you'd never know it a week later. That's why I love to shop the house and do a little makeover here and there. It lasts a whole lot longer than my clean surfaces, which by the way, have a nice covering of dust... again.

This time I started with my mantel. I used the famous basket bowl that my BFF gave to me after I drooled over it at her house. Thanks, Les. I still love it.

I've been reading about having balance when decorating with multiple objects. Balance doesn't equal symmetry. Working with an odd number of objects helps with balance.
Another area in our family room that I just recently changed was this area around the 'snack table'.  This is actually a small kitchen table pushed up against the wall with two chairs. It gets used daily for snacks, homework, puzzles, you name it. While I love the Nester's idea about leaning a picture against the wall, it just wouldn't work here, because the table is so round.
But I've put her good advise to use elsewhere!

I didn't buy a single thing for either of these little makeovers. I just shopped the house.
Want more ideas for 10 minute makeovers? Check out the Nester's party.

Next time: my kitchen makeover pictures!

16 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love the colors of your walls!
Very nice!
-sandy toe

Carpool Queen said...

Oh! I have that little white iron hanging basket! Yay - I'm feeling better about myself. Mine's hanging outside the back door and I occasionally remember to change out the indoor/outdoor flowers (otherwise known as "faux) I have crammed in there.

And I haven't learned the dif between balance and symmetry.

These Are The Days said...

Wow, it all looks great, wish I hadn't had to buy anything.

CMB said...

Your mantle turned out great...I seem to always be stuck on symetry!

Holly said...

The mantel looks clean and balanced...nice! What a great idea to have a snack table!

Gina said...

I love that basket-it looks great, and little bird is cute too! I'm always in favor of moving things around over cleaning any day!

Sherri said...

Love the colors! Love all the elements on the wall. Works together wonderfully. My picture couldn't 'lean' either. So I used a stand!

Little Oak Table said...

oooh, i like the basket bowl too! cute!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great basket! I also love your wall arrangement!

Jen

Jodi said...

great job - love seeing all the changes!

Maisy said...

I came to your blog through Coco.
I love your blog. Especially your banner. It was just what I needed to read.
I can't wait to look through your blog. I made it to the mudroom and realized that I think I may have to come back. I really like the light in your house :)
I was hoping to become a follower..i will just have to bookmark your blog.

Stop by my blog...i'm doing 2 AWESOME giveaways :)

Happy Friday. Hope you can stay up to watch your show tonight :)

Carrie @carrieloves said...

The texture on your walls looks great! And, I love the basket, too.

CJ said...

Loving these makeovers! Your walls are so pretty and I love your mantle arrangement. Please tell me where your BLOG HEADER picture was taken. That is BEAUTIFUL!

honeysuckle said...

Your little snack table looks so inviting and what a great idea for that space. You have put your items together very nicely. I can tell you take pride in your home. Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

The red candles really add punch!--and that star, too! I need to remember the odd # rule... ;-)

happyhome said...

Your mantle looks great! Good job. Also, your header photo is amazing!