March 18, 2010

Master Bedroom:: Before/After

When we built our home 8 years ago I made a paint mistake. Unfortunately, it was in our master bedroom. I should have known it might be the wrong color when my husband called me and said, "You do realize that our bedroom is the color of Mt. Dew, right?" Oops. By the time I could drive out to check on the painters, it was too late. For several years I tried to work with it, using various bedding/curtains. There was no getting around the fact that the paint GLOWED.
We tried to tame it down with browns, lighten it up with blues, but nothing worked.
I snapped these "before" pictures right before we moved everything to the center of the room to paint. I know it looks more minty green, but trust me it was green on caffeine.

I wanted something serene, light, airy, and CALM.
We chose Urban Mist by Behr (Home Depot):
It looked really light on the card, but as you can see, it definitely has a soft blue/gray undertone. Read about the headboard here. As for the bedding, I was always afraid of white with kids-n-such, but I've come to LOVE white because bleach is my new best friend. It always looks crisp and clean. When I was in Europe, I fell in love with their bedding ideas. On a king size bed, we use 2 twin down-alternative comforters.
Even though we have a slight obsession with moving furniture, we had never moved the furniture in our room. Change is good. I feel like we have a whole new room ... a haven. Which is why there isn't much on the walls. After so much (color) chaos, I wanted to keep it simple.
You know I love to be frugal, here are some ways we saved $$.
Used the same furniture.
Built our own headboard.
Used the same lamps. (Spray painted and added fringe on the one above)
Used items from around the house. (above)
Printed the picture (below) from the internet and put it in a frame.
Some of you asked in this post about pictures. Yes, we do have pictures of our kids in our room. While I like the idea of only having photos of you and your spouse ... I mean me and my spouse... in the master bedroom, I just haven't taken the time to find that many photos of just us.

28 comments:

Amanda Jo said...

As much as I love Mt. Dew...it's not the best wall color. I really LOVE the new color - it makes your room look so much bigger!

Amy said...

Great transformation! Making our master bedroom look like a grown-up, relaxing space was important to me when we moved in. It's visible from the main living space, so that's an additional motivator!

Richella Parham said...

Your bedroom looks lovely! It's so calm and restful now. Isn't it amazing what a difference a coat of paint can make??

O Mom said...

So pretty! I love all the white too. How do use the 2 twin comforters? Are they sewn together or you each get one?

Joy for the Seasons said...

Ahhhh...so calming...

Gretchen said...

We each get our own comforter, that way, he can throw his off when he gets too hot, and I can make a cocoon out of mine. :)

Kellie said...

That is very nice! I love the calming effect of the color....

Mich said...

Beautiful new room...

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!! I happened on your blog from Edie's blog, and I had to make a comment because our blogs are both themed around the same scripture verse - one of my favorites of all time!! :) So I wanted to say hi...we are also a homeschool family with 3 children! Your blog is beautiful, I'll have to come back and visit again soon!

Tiffani said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

I love every part of it!!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

So beautiful! I look the soft sereneness of it all. I'm dying for white bedding. You really did such an awesome job.

Little Oak Table said...

Oh my gosh I'm torn up over your new room! I thought the picture of your room was the paint chip photo for the color you chose, I'm so impressed!

It's so clean, sunny, cheerful, calm. Ahhh, like a day at the spa!!! Great job!

Samantha said...

looks great. Nice choice with the paint,it's so calming. I *heart* your headboard.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

It's beautiful!!!! You did a great job. I love that paint color so much. I might copy you!

Little Oak Table said...

Hey NEM- On your sidebar you have FIND IT...which lists your labels. Do you remember off the top of your head how you added that to your blog?

Sami said...

I wandered over from CPQ...
Your bedroom is BEAUTIFUL!! That color is exactly what I've been wanting. I may have to steal it :) And I LOVE it with the white headboard.

Kelli said...

Ahhhh! Love it! Very tranquil. The colors are perfect. I am still decluttering our room. I should send you a picture when it is done.=)Thanks for sharing and for the motivation.
Kelli

Sandy said...

I sneaked a peek last night while you were gone... and I love it! Can't wait to finish getting ours done...

Cindy said...

This is beautiful. We are doing blue and white in our new bedroom. I found a great white coverlet from Kohls (Vera Wang on sale). I found blue sheets months ago at TJ Maxx. I can't wait. Now I need some shams.

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful and serene. I am a first time visitor. I will have to visit again.

Amber said...

Oh so perfect.
LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

But my hubs would have loved the Mt. Dew.

Rhonda said...

I love the color of your room. The makeover looks like a totally different place. You did a great job!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

This is magazine ready. So calm but yet refreshing. I also appreciated the accessories that you chose.
Pam @ Becolorful

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

your ceiling is DIVINE! what a great transformation.

duchess said...

Looks nice. I love the color choice, it's exactly what I've been wanting for our bedroom. Thanks for posting the name. Now I want to go find a Mtn Dew.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

The change is remarkable! I can't believe how much the color and space plan change the room. It's almost like a different house! Great job. I know you're so happy with it!

Gretchen said...

I worry that anything with gray or blue undertones would bring me down, here in the NW, but I have to say, all that crisp white brightens it up w/o making it look clinical. Beautiful!! Absolutely beautiful. I love your thrifty handiwork, too. Such great ideas!

Cathy said...

Ha! Have to laugh at Gretchen's comment...I hear ya, my Pacific NW sistah!

I have to say my hubby probably will not be happy that I read this little blog post of yours...for I've had the re-do-the-master itch for awhile now and this just sent it into the need-the-calomine-lotion stage.:)

It's gorgeous!