November 3, 2009

Turning Six


My little superhero.
Full of life, snuggles, laughter, emotion, imagination.

He was put into my arms and filled my heart six years ago. Thanks to him, I know each of the characters in the Justice League, Star Wars, and Bibleman. Because of him, my prayers as a mother have changed. For my girls, I pray for their protection, their hearts, their future families. For a son, my prayers gravitate toward his character, leadership, becoming a man of God, integrity. Even though I want all of these things for all of my children, my focus is different for each child. Since he is my youngest, I think my heartstrings hold on a little tighter as each year passes. As I watch him grow and mature it is bittersweet. I want him to fulfill all that he was placed on this earth to do. But for now, I want to make time stand still and enjoy the moment.

We celebrated number six with just a few friends. It was what he wanted. For me, it was the easiest birthday I've ever planned. Hubby made the cake:
I planned the scavenger hunt, the girls decorated. The boys were entertained with roasting marshmallows and playing in the fort...

while saving the world, one villain at a time.

15 comments:

Suz said...

Something about those little boys pull on our heart strings. Your super hero is precious. Enjoy these days.

dawn said...

So sweet. My youngest turned nine yesterday. He pulls at my heartstrings all the time. And the imagination! Boy imagination leaves me in the dust--I rarely understand the scenarios he comes up with in his head.

I get the different prayers for our son...I pray for purity as well. Seems like the little guys can be assaulted with images before we even know they are looking, you know?

Your post was a wonderful tribute to your little boy.

Amber said...

I'm a momma of superheroes. So I get it. 100% get it.

I pray those same things for my little men. And might wipe a tear or two when I realize that, as much as I hate it, they really are growing up.

The Chubby Dove said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Batman.

(i'm so impressed that your hubbie made the cake)

Hugs!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh...so sweet!
sandy toe

Tracey said...

Happy Birthday, sweet boy! The cake is, once again, fabulous. What a talented husband you have!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday to Batman! He shares a birthday with me! It was just the most beautiful day for a birthday too!
Great cake! Looks yummy! Glad you had fun celebrating! :)

Carpool Queen said...

What a fun day! And I LOVE the first picture -it says so much of the whirling dervish it can be to raise boys.

Darlene said...

It looks like he had a FABULOUS birthday! Great cake made by your hubby!

The Buntens said...

What a great party! Little boys are so fun, aren't they?

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!

That first picture is amazing.

Cherish this time....super hero's grow up too fast.

Gretchen said...

Props to Dad for making the cake. And to you for your heart for all your children.

My daughter, who is 11, is my youngest, and it does pull on those heartstrings. I'm so grateful for the young lady she is becoming, yet wistful for the little girl she's leaving behind.

Great pictures, too.

Sandy said...

It was one of the best birthday parties ever for all 4 little boys involved, & the sisters: minimal expense, so much fun, no pressure, & just what he wanted. But where have these last 6 years gone?!!!! He is such a fabulous little guy & a bright spot in our lives!

Kellie said...

Very sweet! Happy Birthday, Little Guy... they are on a mother's heartstrings forever....

Anonymous said...

Love the batman picture! (But not as much as I love that batman!! :)
E