April 15, 2010

Call it Wonderful

Nothing.
That's what we are up to this week. Glorious nothing.
Some people call it spring break. I call it wonderful.

Since we are on a (modified) year around schedule, we get to have 2 weeks of spring break. It's the perfect amount of time off. Just long enough to squeeze in a trip and have a week of doing fun stuff at home. Just short enough for my kids to not forget everything they've learned for the past 6 weeks.

This year we had our week at home first; which included having friends over several days, visiting a fun museum and doing a little spring cleaning. I didn't accomplish many projects other than my blog makeover, but I'm okay with that. I'm becoming less project oriented and more people contented. Make sense?

The second week has been spent in the mountains. Contented sigh.
We've rested, played, shopped, played games, read, laughed, walked, and slept -a lot.

Highlights of the week:
~I started and finished a book in two days, which is quite an accomplishment for this slow reader. (See my book review tomorrow)
~We spent 5 hours at the local park. Any park with views of the mountains is perfect; especially a park with a 30' slide from the 1950's.
~Laundry at the mountain house isn't quite as daunting as it is at my own house. Why?
~My 6 year old can beat me at Mancala. Every time.
~My shopping "needs" have changed drastically. We shopped for 5 hours yesterday and the only thing I bought was a pyrex bowl. Don't get me wrong. I saw lots of wants, but I'm learning the difference between needs and wants. Slowly learning.
~Staying up until midnight and sleeping until 8:30 is so fun. Me, not the kids.
~My mom and I polished off an entire lemon meringue pie in two days. Who could turn down her cooking?
~There is no pine pollen in the mountains. Lots of Christmas trees, but no pine pollen. Go figure. I'm not complaining, though.

Well, I need to go shower. It is, after all, 10:30 in the morning. Time to get the day started.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

No pine pollen there? I'll be right over!

All jokes aside, i am so thankful you are getting some time in the mountains! It is so great to have some time off! You are doing all my favorite things!

Carpool Queen said...

I envy your no pine pollen and your hours of disciplined shopping. I am not allowed to buy ONE MORE bowl for my kitchen.

anthonyandbeth said...

that DOES sound wonderful. :) i'd love to hear more about your "modified" year round calendar. Harrison is leaving for a week to visit his grandparents in FL. it's a yearly tradition and he is beyond excited. i am excited to finally have a spring break. :) it's been hard watching everyone enjoying theirs. :) but it's our turn now. keep having fun doing nothing. :)

Kellie said...

I so envy you. lol :) Glad you are having a great time!

Mich said...

Sounds like a wonderful time.

So glad you could spend this restful time with the family.