April 19, 2010

A Cheerful Heart


As a mother you hold one of the greatest superpowers known to man: influence
It's a scary thought to know that the moment your child is placed in your arms you will be the most influential person in their lives for the next 15 years, possibly ever.

As you shape, mold, encourage and guide your children, the days can become long. It's easy to allow the daily grind to cloud our long term vision. Let's take step back and examine the heart.

What kind of attitude do my children see in me?
Do I respond in weariness or joyfulness?

A cheerful heart is good medicine
But a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Proverbs 17:22

Parenting isn't easy, but I want my children to know that I love being their parent.
If all they remember is my weariness, what kind of legacy will I leave?
I want them to experience life with a cheerful mom.

Remember that influence we have? If I respond to my children with cheerfulness, then they will learn to respond to others with that kind of attitude. Not overnight. But if I set the example (on a daily basis) eventually our home will be filled with cheer.

I've often observed moms who respond to a whining child with whining of their own; a teenager with a sour attitude with a bad attitude to match. What good does that do? It only tells the child this behavior is appropriate and acceptable. It's a natural response to react negatively. I often catch myself doing that very thing.

However, if I set the tone, I am being proactive. Ah, that's so much better than being re-active.
'Cause, I'm not good at reacting, especially when it comes to whining and sportin' a tude.

So let's work on being cheerful moms together. Are you in?


19 comments:

Dawn said...

now i am sitting here with tears in my eyes. i project cheeriness to the world... but what baout in my own home? do i? enough? i'm not sure, but i think i am leaning towards being honest and saying no. thank you for planting this seed in my heart today... and reminding me that i do indeed have my own superpower...

Amber said...

I'm so in.

I think about this all the time...hoping that my children don't only remember me fussing about how dirty the house is or how tired I am. But I want them to remember me as laughing. And playing with them. And being their biggest cheerleader.

Good reminder, friend. Today will be a good day!

Anonymous said...

thumbs up, girlfriend. i also make sure to tell little man regularly how much of a blessing he is -- i want those words to ring in his ears long-term!

so yes, I'M IN!!

- TZ
:)

Mich said...

Beautiful post. A much needed reminder for the busy mom.

Hope youare having a beautiful day with those precious kiddos of yours. Cute pictures.

Karen said...

I'm in!!
Thanks for the encouragement. It was just what I needed to read today! You bless me.

Unknown said...

I have a friend who recently asked her two grown children what they remember most about growing up in their home. They said they remembered the laughter. How precious is that? Here's to being good moms who spread the laughter and joy so thick that that is what our children remember the most!

Unknown said...

I'm in...

The Mr and I were talking about this recently...when our kids see us react instead of respond to situations in our life, they learn to do the same!

anthonyandbeth said...

i needed to read this today. thank you!

Suz said...

That is just what I needed to start this week. Thanks for encouraging!

Sandy said...

Love, laughter, & cheerful attitudes = great memories!

O Mom said...

So in!!
Thanks for the cheery reminder. I hate it when I've found myself rudely telling one of my girls to be nice or to be happy .......... That just does not work.

Sarah said...

Amen! I can definitely fail at this sometimes, but it is definitely my goal every day. What a huge responsibility we have as mothers to shape our kids into polite, friendly, good-attitude adults!!

Unknown said...

Oh but why is it so hard to have a cheerful heart in my home! I get the shakes a little bit just thinking about how much influence I have over my daughter!

thanks for sharing this!

Richella Parham said...

Yes, indeed!! It's amazing how much the mom can set the tone. And you're right: it is better to be proactive than reactive. Much, much better!

Anonymous said...

I'm in!
This really hit home with me. I have a hard time staying cheerful when a meltdown over nothing I am aware of is in full force.
Repeat to myself:
proactive, not reactive
proactive, not reactive
proactive, not reactive

Thanks for posting this!

Hope
lurker

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reminder. I have actually really been trying to work on this lately. It is so easy to project the weary, b/c it is how it feels sometimes. But I know God is bigger than 'my feelings' and can help me respond and react in a way that is pleasing to Him and beneficial to my kids. Thank you for the wonderful example you set of this! You truly do!
All of us had so much fun today- thank you so much for organizing it! I loved every bit of it (although the weariness factor may have peeked through just a tad when we walked into the gift shop ;)

love you guys!
EBF

Gretchen said...

A cheerful heart overflows from a heart of gratitude, I think. I stink at maintaining a good attitude over the course of the day. I can let little things bug me, & react w/emotion rather than responding w/patience. I echo the other commenters in thanking you for this reminder. And truly, who do we grumble against? Not really our children/spouses--but God.

Ah...conviction...hurts so good.

Sherri said...

A little too convicting, but thanks!

Little Oak Table said...

And THIS is why I love you so much!

You rock!


Hugs, Bugs