April 12, 2010

A Southern Staple

If you've lived in the south, then you know what I'm talking about. If you are wrinkling your nose at the picture above, I'll step aside as lightning might strike you.
One of the greatest concoctions to grace God's green earth is Shrimp-n-Grits. They just happen to grace more tables below the Mason-Dixon line.
Shrimp and Grits, like most culinary delicacies, can come in a variety of forms. I've had it served with a tomato base sauce (not my favorite), a creme sauce, a clear garlic sauce, and everything in between.

After watching a Bobby Flay Shrimp-n-Grits Throwdown on the Food Network, we decided to have our own Shrimp and Grits Throwdown at the NEM household. My man, who sometimes believes he is Emeril, tends to like things plain. Plain, as in NO sauce, no condiments, no salad dressings, you get the idea. So his version was plain grits with shrimp on top. Now before I go touting my bidness, I will admit that his shrimp were more flavorful than mine, so I'm going to share the combined recipe below.
It's a quick and easy recipe. You will also be glad that there are not 56,000 calories due to using heavy cream, as in most s&g recipes.

SHRIMP:
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked 2lbs. shrimp
1/3 cup white wine juice of 2 limes (or lemon)
1Tbs. bacon drippings 1 Tbs. parsley, fresh or dried
pepper to taste

Saute shrimp in bacon drippings, wine, and lime juice until pink in color. Add bacon and parsley. Serve over cheese grits.
GRITS:
1 cup quick grits 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk (skim is fine) 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Bring all ingredients except cheese to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 10-12 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted and serve immediately. Grits will serve 3-4, so I usually double.
(I like to add a little tabasco sauce to mine, to kick it up a notch.)
Tell me what you think. Do you like shrimp and grits? What's your take on this southern staple?

14 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

Girl, that looks scrumptious. I had something very similar a few weeks back at a new place in Nasvhille. Oh my, it was great.

I love cheese grits for breakfast. What about you?

Anonymous said...

Ooh!! I'm glad you did this! I love shrimp and grits but have never made them. I'm going to try your recipe!!

Unknown said...

I hate to admit this but, I have never had shrimp and grits. I did steal a bite off of the CarpoolQueens plate one time and thought the grits were yummy. Oh, and she made them (grits) for the Island Girls when we went to Whidbey.

And I love shrimp...so I am sure I would enjoy this!

I am also married to a man who enjoys things "Plain". I used to think eating salad without dressing was so weird!

Carpool Queen said...

The best s&g I've ever had were in Charleston at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad). I tell all my friends to go there.

I have a great Emeril recipe for them as well. I'll have to make them for you one day.

Joy for the Seasons said...

This southern girl can honestly say shrimp and grits never showed up on her plate growing up! But I do love me some grits!!

Kellie said...

I LOVE, love, love, love shrimp and grits! So glad you posted the recipe. We WILL be trying this at the Fowler Farm soon!!!!!!!! :)

Amber said...

It's so depressing to me that I'm allergic to shrimp. Because I always hear about the divinity that is S&G, and NEVER get to eat them. And then you go posting yummy pictures.

I'm thinking that the throat swelling closed might possibly be worth it one of these days.

O Mom said...

Had shrimp but never shrimp and grits, but it looks like I would love it!

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious to me and I'll definitely have to try it!

Suz said...

Remind me to give you a recipe for a shrimp and grits recipe that has a peach bbq sauce to it. Scott got the recipe from a yummy restaurant in Atlanta. You would love it. Not sure about your man liking it.

Your plate of shrimp and grits is making me hungry. Yum!! One of my favorite dishes.

Sarah said...

I love me some shrimp and grits along with my sweet tea and boiled peanuts!!! Just don't put any fried ocra or turnip greens on my plate and I like most Southern dishes!

Kelli said...

Simply amazing! I had my first taste about a month ago at a Restaurant called Sassafras! For an appetizer we had fried green tomatoes in a pimento dressing....it was incredible. I completely agree with you....Sounds strange, but it is delicious.

Cathy said...

Shrimp is about the ONLY seafood that will make into my mouth, but (and here's where you all gasp) I've never had grits. Although, since I've started blog reading I've often thought I need to see what all the fuss is about.:)

Karen said...

You step aside while the lightening strikes here in Gabs. I'm not much of a seafood person at all. I will eat shrimp...when they're battered up and fried. That's about it. Now the grits, I could eat them all day. Love 'em.