April 16, 2010

A Must Read

I love to read.
Give me a good book and a chai latte and I'm yours forever.
I'm not afraid to put a book down if it hasn't grabbed me within the first chapter. Too many fish in the sea to waste time on one that won't bite.
I especially love to read books that are recommended by others; however, I usually hesitate to return the favor, knowing that our tastes in literature might be oceans apart.

So today I'm going to take a giant risk and not only make a suggestion, I'm going so far as to say you NEED to read this book:

Any person, at any stage in life, in any socioeconomic level, will be changed by this book.
Very few books have touched my soul the way this book reached in and snatched me. I bawled through the heart of the story line. I'm just thankful that it was 11:30 at night so that mama didn't have to explain why she was a blubbery mess with mascara running down her cheeks.

A word of caution: Don't flip to the back of the book and peruse the photographs. It will be a plot spoiler for you. Spoken from experience, unfortunately.

Have you read it? What did you think?
Have you read the sequel?
What book has snatched you, changed you?
I love a good recommendation!

12 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

You are the second person this week to recommend this book.

I'm totally going to read it now, I'll let you know.

My friend just gave me Ted Dekker, Blink-never read him ,have you?

p.s. i loved your sweet comment on my blog yesterday! how was your day today?

Unknown said...

Yes I read it and I LOVED it!

Is this the book you read in two days...cuz i COULD NOT put this book down.

The story was amazing and has changed the way I look at the world of homeless individuals. But it was even more realistic to me because I lived in Fort Worth for 8 years.

So when he wrote bout being at the Starbucks on University...I was right there. The Water Garden where he would bathe? The Mr and I went there for lunch on my 30th birthday...

So it felt really close to home...

I haven't read the squel so I will be interested to see if what the thoughts are....

Happy Friday!

Amber said...

LOVED LOVED LOVED that book. So good.
I have the sequel, but haven't read it all the way through yet. Didn't grab me like the first one.

Have you read "The Help" yet????
So.Good.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read that one! I have The Help if you want to borrow that, it was a good one. Also just read The Swan House, and its sequel The Dwelling Place, can't remember the author, but loved them both!
Enjoy the mts!!
:) Erin

Unknown said...

Gretchen, I think I'll add this to my summer reading list. It's growing, but I've heard a lot of people recommend this book.

O Mom said...

Need to read this book.
I am the same way about offering my suggestions about books I love, but sometimes one just speaks to you and you have to share it.
thanks for the suggestion.

Carpool Queen said...

Yay! You liked it! I want to be Debbie when I grow up.

Suz said...

I think I will just have to read it!
Glad you and the family had a nice relaxing time in the mtns.

Unknown said...

Gonna get it this wknd...I need a reading escape!

Angel said...

I read this book a couple of years ago and was wowed by it. I love hearing stories of God's handy work in our lives, how we are all intertwined.

N said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look for this book.
I have a recommendation for you if you haven't already read it. Ishmael and in fact I have a copy of it if you'd like it!

Kellie said...

I saw part of the interview by the two men who wrote this book. I need to read it! I'll have to add this to my growing list. lol Now, I'll just have to stay awake long enough at night to finish what I am currently reading. lol :)