June 3, 2010

Lost in Translation

I surprised my daughter with a trip to the nail salon for her birthday this week.
There's nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone, so I thought I'd have my eyebrows done while I was waiting.

Asian Technician: "She won pedicure, too?"
Me: Smiling. "No thanks. Just the mani." We still need enough $$ to give her some presents.
She gave a little sniff and raised her eyebrow as she looked at my daughter's toes. That just happened to be the handiwork of a 10 year old in a rainbow of pinks and blues.

Turning to my other daughter she said, "You won manicure like sister?"
Who wouldn't? I mean she was in the middle of giving her a full arm massage with hot stones, for goodness sake. We were all drooling. I think my 6 year old son would have said yes at that point. Fortunately I had already prepped daughter #2 about this being a birthday gift. So she politely declined.
Another sniff.

Since my other two children were completely mesmerized by the whole color-on-the-nail thing, I left them to gawk watch their older sister enjoy her birthday treat. I was taken back to the operating waxing room by another woman with broken English.

Her:"You won browd?"
Me: What? Oh, yes, my brow. Realizing that the need to confirm a brow wax as opposed to a bikini wax was of the essence.
Her: All dose your kids?
Me: Yes, yes they are.
Her: How many? Fowa?
Me: No, just three.
Her: You hab good body.
Me: Wha???
Her: You hab good body to hab sree kids.
Me: Thank you! I'll take every service you offer,well except the Brazilian, and double the tip.
Her: You jus stay home all day wis dem?
Me: There went your doubled tip, lady.

19 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This is so funny. I have had those conversations sooooooo many times. You really do look fabulous though. Hugs, Marty

Kellie said...

I can so envision this whole conversation.... been there. lol I'm getting a pedicure tonight. We'll see how my conversation fares. Glad you just stay home with your kids all day. lol :)

Joy for the Seasons said...

Haha! Too funny!

Tracey said...

That's what we're all about...jus stayin' home all day wis dem.

Because I just have to know...how do you like your eyebrows??

Funny, funny post! Thanks for the laughs :D.

Mrs. B. said...

That made me laugh out loud on a day i did not think that was possible!

Jodee said...

What a hoot!

Amy Kinser said...

So funny!!! I can imagine the whole thing...

Gretchen said...

Yeah...das all I do...If you have not seen this, you must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

KR said...

Hysterical! You should have heard me over here sounding out all your words. I always get the sniff when I told them no, not my lip too.

Eleanor said...

Gretchen- I love following your blog. This was hysterical and sooo true! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you all are doing well! Eleanor

Sandy said...

Laughed out loud at this one! So been there! You should have said, "Yeah, just eating bon-bons.." She probably would have been aghast that you eat "bombs"!

Kelli said...

Hilarious!

Rachel said...

HeeHee! Funny! What a good idea for a special birthday treat just for your daughter. Cool mom points!!

I love your new photo on the white bed. Its beautiful!

Oh, and I love Colbie too....her voice is smooth and relaxing. I have several of her songs on my ipod! :)

Suz said...

Oh my goodness, I am laughing so hard right now.
I hope the big sis had a great birthday.
She is such a sweet heart and we love her. Give her a big bday hug from us.

Carpool Queen said...

When they mention waxing my lip, I automatically deduct 6%.

Sarah said...

hilarious! You got a love a "you just stay home with them" comment. Let me tell you as a mom who works two days a week, the days I leave the house are EASIER than the days I "just stay at home". Being at home is the hardest job ever!

Little Oak Table said...

HAHA!!! Have you seen Bon Qui Qui's "Beautiful Nail" on YouTube? If not you've GOT to check it out, you'll die!! It's hilarious and reminds me so much of your post today :)!

Little Oak Table said...

p.s. if you google beautiful nail it is the 4 minute one-i just googled it and there is a 8 minute one i didn't like :( but the 4 min is the funny one!!

SHINNanigans said...

Thanks for the laugh!