September 25, 2013

The Room I Didn't Know What to Do With


When we began designing our home, I told the architect that the kitchen and keeping room were my top priorities.   Because of the layout of the house plans,  I knew that we would have a family room but I didn't give the space much thought.  Which is strange, because every other square foot of our house we planned with a purpose.

And so she was left undecorated and unnamed for almost 10 months.  For a while we used it to play Dance3 on the Wii because there was so much open floor space.  Do you know how great it is to dance on hardwood floors in socks?  Moves like Jagger, baby.
Eventually the Wii found it's permanent home in the kids' playroom and so the room sat.  Mostly empty, save for the gigantasoraus armoire that couldn't be moved another foot into the recesses of our home.
 We walk through the room everyday, but other than that, I really wasn't sure what purpose the room would serve.

Over the course of a few months, I realized that it had become the quiet room.  Strange, since it is located in the center of the house, but nonetheless, it became our reading room.
It is the space where I step away from the work in the school room, the busyness of the kitchen, and the noise of the tv.
 The room has become my space to enjoy one-on-one time with my daughter when she gets home from school.  We often work on homework together on the couch.  My sweet boy and I often read together here.

It is filled with worn out furniture and cherished objects that would be of no value to anyone else.  But still...
The afternoon sunlight streams in beckoning me.
.
 Ironic how the space I didn't know what to do with has become my sanctuary.


Wall Color: Crushed Ice by Sherwin Williams
Sign: Red Letter Words

I'm linking up with Imparting Grace today

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Beautiful!

Chelsea said...

Love those globes!

Sandy said...

And it has become not only a place of refreshment for you, but also a place where memories are made with each of your kids.

ashley said...

I get relaxed when I read blog posts about your home. There is something so tranquil about the whole thing... You've done such a beautiful job with it all.

Joy for the Seasons said...

Sooooo don;t be surprised if I show up on your doorstep one day desperate to sit in your sanctuary. :) It is beautiful. I love that even someone like you who seems to have an infinite amount of creativity and design ideas did not quite know what to do with a space for awhile. I am the kind of gal who has to live in a space for awhile before I know what I want to do with it. Lord help me if we move again, we have been in this house for 6 years and I am just figuring out some spaces now. ;)