June 6, 2011

Food and Music...

What More Could We Ask For?

Spoiler Alert: We just got back from a 2500 mile road trip of the midwest.  The next few days I'm going to bore inspire you with photos and such.  If you came here for deep spiritual inspiration or decorating ideas, come back next week.  Otherwise, grab a icy mocha and get comfy!

When we decided to make a stop in Nashville, Tennessee I asked around for suggestions of good eats.  
Several friends suggested the Pancake Pantry.  I'm so thankful for knowledgeable friends!

You know you can't go wrong with something called "Chocolate Sin."  Crepes, ganache, raspberries and whipped cream.  Yes, it was sinfully delicious.  Nothing like starting the vacation out right!


Even though Nashville has a wild nightlife, it was super family friendly during the day.  We started the day with a visit to the Visitor's Center because we're nerdy like that.  Sometimes nerdy-ness pays off.  They had this retro stage ready for photos.  The guy even encouraged the kids to pick up the guitars and act like stars.
Doncha just love that microphone?

Since my kids aren't huge country music fans, we decided to pocket the $75 and not take the Country Music Hall of Fame tour.  I know some of you are shaking your head in shame... :)
But we thought the sidewalk of stars was pretty neat and the FREE Dairy Queen Dilly Bars they were passing out put stars in the kid's eyes.


We (and I mean mostly my husband, but I liked the idea) decided that we would not eat in any national chain restaurants.  The kids were on board with the idea, so it made it kind of fun.  A couple of friends had recommended Jack's BBQ.  Come to Momma.  It was finger lickin' good.
I highly recommend it for a taste of real Tennessee bar-b-que.


We enjoyed seeing the home of the Tennessee Titans (football) and cooling off with Sunkist.  Why do drinks taste better in a glass bottle?  I'm not a soda drinker, but my family swears by it.  Thoughts?

I also recommend the Tennessee State (state of, not college team)Museum in downtown Nashville.  Besides being a great place to cool off in the heat of the day, it has a great collection of historical stuff that kids like.  Nothing like driving to another state for an end-of-year field trip!

Little man spent his own money on the straw cowboy hat.  I could eat him up!!!

Have you ever seen the Opryland Hotel?  I had no idea how amazing it truly is.  If you go to Nashville, you need to go see the hotel.  It is beautiful.  We should have spent the extra $75 and stayed there.  Wowsa!

One last little funny:
As we were leaving downtown Nashville headed out toward our hotel, our car started making a terrible noise.  Then we noticed it only made the noise when we drove past a wooded area.  I rolled down my window and realized it was the cicadas in the trees... not our car!   I've never been so glad to hear those annoying little bugs!  



5 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

Good Heavens the chocolate sin looks AMAZING!

Richella Parham said...

Nashville's a fun town, isn't it? We lived there when we were young marrieds. . . our oldest son was born there. In fact, we ate at Pancake Pantry the day before he was born, 20 years ago! :)

The funny thing is that Nashville had hardly any night life back then. It's different now! But at heart it's still a town full of people who love God and each other, which makes it a pretty wonderful place. Glad you had a good time on your trip!

Kellie said...

How fun!! I have heard Nashville is a neat place to visit. If we ever go there I'll have to remember your recommendations. :)

I think drinks taste better in a bottle because, well..... they just do. Maybe it is because it is in a glass and not a can???

Too funny about the cicadas!

Unknown said...

Love it all! Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming there is more to come... I like the no chain restaurants idea. We will have to try that on our upcoming vacation!

Mom said...

Just saw an episode of 19 Kids & Counting where the whole Dugger family & their daughter-in-law's family were in Nashville & they ate at Jack's Barbecue (it was recently, too!)