February 20, 2012

Dreaming (part 1)


What are your dreams?  We all have them.  Some dreams are just fun wishes that we know will never come true.  Other dreams are lifelong, pursuable goals. Sometimes the line is blurred.  For example, I know that my dream of sailing the Mediterranean in my own yacht (in a perfectly toned body) is just a fun wish that will never actually take place.  But what about those dreams that are planted in our hearts that could be a possibility? This is where seeking God's wisdom is key.
I am not a risk taker.  Well, I like roller coasters and I'd still like to skydive and bungee jump; but I'm not a risk taker when it comes to big stuff.  The "what ifs" send me scurrying back to the comfort of safe.
In the first year of marriage, before careers and kids sprouted, my husband and I tossed around the idea of moving somewhere exotic for just a year.  Exotic meaning the Colorado Rockies.  We didn't follow through and a year later we heard of a friend who had the same dream and pursued it.  I was jealous.  Not of their experience (even though they did exactly what we had dreamed of), but rather their bravery for pursuing the dream.

Over the past 16 years, we have had many "one day we will..." conversations.  Don't we all?  Family trips, house ideas, retirement plans, typical stuff.  Last May we did a lot of talking (a 3,000 mile road trip allows for that).  We were discussing one of our dreams and I said, "what if one day never happens because we never did anything to pursue it?"  The particular dream we were mulling over was B.I.G.  Big enough to cause my heart to flutter and my lip to sweat.  It would mean stepping out of the life we had become accustomed to, and walk by faith, and lasso that dream.

We didn't want to wildly pursue a dream without clear direction from the Lord.  So we began to pray.  We prayed in earnest for specific direction.  We asked Him to close doors, no, slam doors if we were to not to move forward.  We cried out to Him for clarity and wisdom.  We knew that if we took one step out of His will in this process, the dream could become a nightmare.  We prayed for God to show us His desire for our lives and asked that it not be tainted by our own plans or the opinion of others.

We have lived in a season of waiting and listening; two things I thought I had mastered.  The angels are giggling as I typed that last sentence.  :)
Patience is a long hard road to travel.

Before I share what our dream was and how it's unfolding, I want to hear from you.
What are some of your dreams?
Are you a risk taker or do you tend to hold hands with Safety?

3 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

I NEEDED THIS TODAY! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! I EMAILED YOU EARLIER!!!

GOD AMAZES ME HOW HE USES THE MOUTHS OF OTHERS TO BREATHE CONFIRMATION INTO NEW PLACES YOU ARE PURSUING WITH HIM!

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING THE SPIRIT TO USE YOU! I SO NEEDED THIS TODAY!

WE'RE STEPPING OUT IN FAITH TO PURSUE A DREAM OF HAVING A MINISTRY IN OUR HOME AND I AM TERRIFIED! I DON'T WANT TO ALWAYS WANDER-WHAT IF...

Shannon Dingle said...

I'm not a risk taker. Which is why the risks we're presenting in the midst of to bring Zoe Amanda home have me shaking in my boots at times. And realizing that I'm far from mastering patience too. :)

Thanks for letting me share with you on Sunday about what's going on with our dream! :)

Kellie said...

I would be duct taped to the chair of security. Sometimes I don't even allow myself to dream. lol