January 18, 2009

Germany 2

Prayer alert:  My precious brother had a skiing accident yesterday.  Split his head like a melon, six inch gash.  He is doing well, but the pictures he sent were too R rated (for violence) to share on the blog.  Plus it makes me gag to look at them.  It was quite a wound, as even the locals wanted to take a picture.  Ironically, he was headed down the mountain to purchase a helmet.  Lesson learned, for all of us.  Thank you for your prayers for his safety... we never know when we might need them most.
I wasn't quite done with the tour of Germany.  C'mon, give a little ... I'm narrowing it down from about 900 pictures.  These were some that I just couldn't pass up.

This was our ADORABLE little hotel in the oldest walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  It was so quaint and authentic!  See how it just nestles in the old city wall?


Starbucks: Heidelburg,Germany
Ahhh...yes.  After 6 days of touring and fun, we found something that reminded us of home.
My brother said it was the first smell that reminded him of America.  I was a little nervous when I asked if they had skim milk and she smiled and said, 'jes, ve have skin mielk'.  I was hoping that skim and skin were the same thing.  And they were.  Did you know that a german Grande Skim Chai tastes the same as the one back home?  That's quality control!
This is the beautiful city of Heidelburg.  We had so much fun touring the castle ruins and walking the streets, watching people.  We also enjoyed some yummy street food here.


And just in case you were wondering, yes, we did the Autobahn.  I have proof, see:
It was .... fast!

The german highway system has it right.  I believe the D.O.T needs to take a field trip over there and learn some things.  

12 comments:

Kevin said...

I didn't really expect you to understand my comment! :-) I was just so excited to read about your trip and see the pictures that I was inspired by my limited knowledge of German to respond in that manner. I can't take all of the credit because I did get a little help with some of the grammar! Here's the translation...

Many thanks for your pictures! I have been waiting for your return. Now I can live vicariously through you. Bring on Austria!

Anonymous said...

The pictures can't begin to show how beautiful it really is. Just as the description can't begin to tell how tremendously God was protecting our adventuresome guy (the pictures would give more insight, but they truly are R rated for gore!)

Anonymous said...

Praying for your "little" brother!!!! Great pics!
Sharon :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

What wonderful pictures!

I am so sorry to hear about your brother...I hope he continues to heal!
-sandy toe

Kristen said...

I feel like I'm on a mini vacay looking at these - that second to last one could be a postcard! Loved that you stopped at Starbucks. Sometimes something familiar while abroad is SO nice. We stopped at a McD's in Paris for that very reason and ended up with a not so hot result!

Carolina Mama said...

Prayers for your brother for sure!

Love your pictures! I lived in Austria one Summer - Summer abroad! :) Love it - love Paris, etc.

You are a Carolina Mama! We'll get yo on the Carolina Girls Blogroll! Thanks for stopping by.

Tracey said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for letting me enjoy your vacation..praying for your brother!

Unknown said...

I just want to know who was driving? :)
Sorry to hear about your brother. He is in our thoughts and prayers.

Sarah said...

Welcome home! I sure hope you weren't the one taking that picture and driving 185 too!! Your pictures are amazing!

Lacy said...

Hey girl!!! Lovin the tour of your trip. So sorry to hear about your brother. I pray he has healing and little to no soarness. Hopefully he was only showing you the pics to show you how tough he is, rather than how awful it was. Porr Guy!

Laura said...

I love looking at your pictures! They are so pretty! Talked to your parents last night and heard about Corey. We're so thankful he's doing ok!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Praying for your brother. I have looked all over for your email...can you send me it. I have something for you to get our discussions rolling. :)