June 3, 2009

Bye-bye, Hello Again??

First of all, let me just say that it is totally ridiculous how much these ducks have consumed my blog.  I really and truly thought that this would be my very last post about them.  Mmm... we shall see.
We deemed Saturday to be the day of  liberation for our feathered friends.  It took a village to get 6 full size ducks to the pond.  We first tried to load them into a wheelbarrow/garden cart.  Uh... that didn't work.  Then we decided to carry them down the path, through the woods to the pond.  We wrapped them in towels for protection from scratches and transport poop.
The path we take to the pond from their pen is just under 1/2 mile.  Far enough to give them a new place to live.  Close enough to go visit when we want.
As you can see, it is a beautiful, secluded pond.  The perfect haven for 6 ducks.


It was a hard day for our animal girl.  She was sad, shed a few tears, but very brave.  We took our time to say goodbye.  We slowly backed away, one by one so the birds wouldn't follow us.

Sunday afternoon my dad did a reconnaissance mission to make sure the 6 made it through the night.  After an a-okay from him, we took little miss down to see for herself that Doodle and friends were enjoying their new home.  Although sad, she did great in saying goodbye. 


And then Tuesday night happened.  
Around 7 pm my daughter and I were working in the bonus room when hubby came upstairs and said, "you wanna see something funny?"
He pointed out the window and ...


THERE WERE OUR 6 DUCKS enjoying a feast of homegrown grass and clover.

Ya'll.  Let me say it again.
Ya'll!!!

I couldn't believe it.  Those ducks walked all the way back to our house (they can't fly yet) after being gone 3 days!  How did they find their way home?!  We carried them to the pond.  It's not like they walked there and left some kind of scent on the path.  Seriously!!! What are we going to do now?!  
We had already cleaned out their pen and planted a garden.  (Manly man doesn't waste any time on a new project, you know)  We offered them some water to drink.  But the stinky kiddy pool had been put away.  So with no pen, no pool what do I have now? Yard ducks?  

Little animal girl doing a happy dance in her pajamas on Tuesday night.  "I knew they would come back!" she screamed.

So much for my "perfect temporary pet" theory.  

9 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Oh honey - I'm laughing near you. VERY near you. And the picture of Nature Girl doing the happy dance??? Wedding video worthy.

Tracey said...

You know, this was funny on Facebook, but here...with the pictures...HILARIOUS!! I'm sorry that you have 6 ducks for pets ( and no where to put them), but the look on your sweet girl's face is priceless..

Thanks for the laughs...I just love your family!

Janet said...

Oh my! That is just too funny! Do keep posting about the ducks. I'd love to hear the latest! :)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I guess those little ducks knew your 5 scents and just followed that right back home. Maybe this is why I see duck poop in yards near ponds! I know that one little girl is ecstatic. Can't wait to see the solution to these new residents. G--have you ever thought of writing a book? You truly do have a gift to express things. Miss Dixie

Mom said...

I'm thinking that since Carpoolqueen is SO near, perhaps SHE would like to adopt 6 beautiful ducks....What's that? Do I hear a cessation of laughter from her?..... Oh, come now, surely they would be great company for 3 young "men"....

Kellie said...

Oh my... that is so funny!! Love the last picture. Well, I guess you are going to have more duck adventures in your future, girl. Can't wait to read about them. LOL

Suz said...

Ok, I will have to say I have gotten lots of laughs from all duck situation but tears came to my eyes seeing animal girl looking so sad saying goodbye. And then I loved seeing her do the happy dance. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Enjoyed reading your blog today. I am still finding my way around blogland....I always love making new friends..I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by. Commenting automatically puts you in the drawing for the June giveaway.

Momofgirls said...

Hilarious! Hope they don't poop all over!!
What a neat story for your kids to tell!