July 27, 2009

Day One

I've been working on these:

because today we begin this:
While we were at the beach, my hubby made the sign (above) for our new school room. He has the artistic gene, so I'm praying that our children take after him. Yes, to answer your question, he did the letters by hand and then cut them out of wood. Amazing.

Over the summer we've transformed one of our rooms into the schoolroom. Needless to say, it has been fun for me, but the kids have been so excited to watch it come together.
I wanted our schoolroom to be warm, inviting, organized and fun... on a tight budget. One of the fun little projects of the summer was the bulletin board. I purchased a large cork board from Walmart and covered it with dark brown burlap. The flower adds a little whimsy. However, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect ribbon to add to the edges.

Since we recently repainted this room, I was hesitant to hang a dry erase board on the wall. Not because of the nail holes, but because of the inevitable marker streaks that typically surround the board. I found the solution: the drawer of our tv cabinet is stable and just the right height.
The little brown desk was my husband's childhood desk. He and his grandfather built it together. The bookcase belonged to his grandparents. It's been in just about every room of our house(s).


Who says storage has to be expensive? I found the little bucket (below) for $1.49 at Hobby Lobby.
Stick around, next post will feature some inexpensive organizing tips and my new window treatments.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! (And a little jealous that I'm not homeschooling this year!) You're going to be FABULOUS!! Looking forward to your next post because I love organizing tips!

Tracey said...

Praying for your day! Love the school room...and I can't wait to hear / read about your first days in the homeschooling world..

Anonymous said...

It looks great, Gretchen!! I can't wait to come by and see your school in person!!
E

Kim said...

so excited for you and the kids with your new venture! Looks like a great place to grow those little brains! Miss you!

Janet said...

Your school room looks amazing! Wow! Praying for you all these next few days and excited for this wonderful journey that has just begun for your family! Can't wait to hear how it's going!

Amy said...

Great space for schoolwork! It's beautiful and practical!

Suz said...

What a great class room! You have wonderful students.

Carpool Queen said...

It looks so warm and inviting and relaxed. Yay!

Kellie said...

Your hubby is so talented. :) Everything looks great! Glad the first day went so well. :)

Samantha said...

So exciting. I can't wait to hear about your adventures in future posts! Happy first day:)

Lacy said...

Super snazzy and calm and pretty classroom. Hope and pray day one and two were great!