October 4, 2011

Crazy is as Crazy Does

1. I don't know about you, but I welcomed October with open arms.... and candycorn nail night with my girls.  So fun!  

2. We've been official chicken owners for over a year now.  Our egg lay-ers have been producing eggs since last November.  A few weeks ago, we were up to 5 eggs a day.  Then something happened and we suddenly went from 5 to 1.  We thought maybe something was getting in the coop and collecting the eggs, like a snake or racoon.  We also noticed that our beautiful birds were looking R.O.U.G.H.  Thanks to the vast knowledge found on the internet, we discovered that our girls were molting.  They don't lay when molting.

Well, guess what happens when you don't do your job:

3. Haha!  Just kidding.  We've been raising meat birds, too.  I've got a whole post on that coming up soon... I know you're waiting on pins and needles.  Our egg layers are alive and kicking and we're patiently waiting for the egg production to pick back up.

4. On Saturday I was cutting through the parking lot of a local strip mall when suddenly I realized that I had driven right through the twilight zone middle of a Ford Fiesta Festival.
 Um, hello??  Ford Fiesta owners are proud enough to have a festival?  I've always thought of those cars as the lowest on the food chain of vehicles.  Take all kinds, I guess.  Normally when I see weird stuff unusual things, I try to casually sneak a picture or two.  Nope.  Not this one.  I decided if they were proud enough to meet in a parking lot with 100's of other Fiesta owners, they wouldn't mind the crazy lady in her giant SUV taking pictures with her zoom lens.  We're all a little crazy, aren't we?

5. Dinner conversation last week :
          Sister: My brother has a great memory.
          Brother: Yeah, I do.  I remember my birth nurse.
          Mom: Huh?  Whaaa????

6.I reached my limit last week and joyfully announced that this week would be fall break.  Whoops and shrieks ensued, and then I pulled myself together to allow the kids to respond.

7. To celebrate our first day of break, we went hiking yesterday.  It was one of those perfect mornings: sunny and brisk.  We met some dear friends who are also celebrating their fall break.  I'm not sure who had more fun, the moms or the kids.
 8.  I can't believe two days of our break are done.  I'm trying to savor each moment of just being in the role of MOM, not teacher.  It sure is fun!


What is bringing you joy this first week of October?

9 comments:

Nichole said...

I love #6 :o)

Tracey said...

#6..hahahahaha!! Love it.

Good for you for taking a break.

My joy this week?? My baby boy turn 13. THIRTEEN! And I got to eat at Mellow Mushroom today.

Love the pics.

Amber said...

What is bringing me joy is your #4 about that Ford Fiesta festival!!! That is hilarious!! B and I got a good laugh out of that!

Sennie said...

Ha ha, too funny! My mom had a Ford Fiesta when I learned to drive - in Finland, so that was my 'first' car. It was perfect :-D

truth in weakness said...

love the dramatic chick pic -- hysterical! and what's bringing me great joy this first week of october is the thought that i will be WITH my guys for our pumpkin picking event this year. WITH them!!

the boundary lines have indeed fallen for me in pleasant places.

Amy said...

What brings me joy today?? We got to meet the Duggar family at LU convo today! They are the absolute most amazing family!! Now our Fall Break has officially begun. I have my Ashley-Girl here at home & the kids are curled up on the couches getting ready to watch a movie!

jason and jen said...

My girls and I saw the candy corn nail picture on facebook...they are dying to give it a try. Be sure to tell your girls they started a new trend! Hope you are doing well!!

Anonymous said...

A fun morning with dear friends brought me great joy the first week in October!! :) E

Kellie said...

What brings me joy this end of the first week of October is that this week is over. It was a bit rough. Thankful I am just home hanging out with my family. Laughed at many parts of this post. :)