October 27, 2011

From Wonder Woman to Old Lady in 15 Feet

Back in September my kids were already trying to decide what they were going to "be" for October 31st.  The original plan was for all 5 of us to dress as superheroes.  Isn't that cute?  Over the course of the month the plan sort of changed when my girls eventually chose something entirely different; while my son stuck with the superhero idea.  

Fast forward to this week.  The kids and I have been in the mountains visiting my parents for fall break.  Knowing that cold, rainy weather is on its way, we tried to squeeze as much fun stuff into the first few days as possible.  Hiking (lots of hiking) and horse back riding were the top two priorities.
Hanging out with "Papa" on top of Grandfather Mountain

On Wednesday afternoon my girls and I went on a gorgeous horse ride through Christmas tree farmland.  The day couldn't have been more perfect.  Unfortunately one of the horses (that my 10 year old was riding) had spacial issues and didn't like any other horse to get too close.  As I came around a bend my horse got too close to Mr. Personal Space and he started backing up and kicking at my horse.  Unfortunately, I was thrown as my horse tried to avoid the kicks.  My horse took off running and my girls (with good reason) freaked out as they watched their momma lie on the ground with the wind knocked out of her.  Miraculously I avoided being kicked, but sustained other injuries from my fall.  The ol' body ain't what she used to be.  Eventually our trail guide was able to capture my horse and as the saying goes, "I fell off the horse, but got back on."  Because, really, who wants to walk a mile back to the stable?  I think it was pure adrenaline that got me back to the stable because when I got in my car the pain hit like a ton of bricks.

I've spent the entire day on the couch (which was TOTALLY not in the fall break plan) nursing cracked ribs and a very bruised body.  I don't know if I've ever experienced this kind of pain.  Who knew laughing or sneezing could be so painful??  My sweet parents have taken over all of the details like feeding and putting my kids to bed.  I don't know what I would have done if they weren't here!

My sweet momma who has taken such good care of me

Wanna know the funny part?  I decided to leave my camera in the car for the ride, even though I was doing a blog series on taking lots of pictures.  For some reason I just didn't feel like bringing the camera along.  I'm SO thankful I didn't!  

This afternoon my daughter said to me, "well mom, instead of being Wonder Woman you could be an old lady in a wheel chair for Halloween."  
Fabulous.

I'd appreciate your prayers for a quick recovery.  I hear ribs don't heal quickly, so I'm none too happy about that!  It was a very traumatic experience for my kids, so pray for them too.
I'll be looking for the perfect gray wig to go with my haggard body.  ;(

10 comments:

Kellie said...

Whew... as I said last night, you are in my prayers. When you get back home and in your wheelchair, let me know. I'll have muscadine and possibly some jalapeno jelly that will fix you right up! Love ya, girl!

Talysa said...

Oh my! I am so glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were. I grew up on a farm and had a horse throw me once when my grandpa was "testing" a new bridle on him. Cracked elbow. The one thing he made me do was get back up on him. I remember I was so mad at my gpa for making me do this. Later I understood it. He said that I would never trust him to ride again and that it messes with a horse's confidence as well. So you did the right thing for you and the horse. I can imagine the pain you are in though. :( Nothing like having family around when you aren't able to take care of yourself and your loved ones. Praying you are on the mend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Girl, I've got some gray hair spray paint - it is all yours!
Praying for you!

Mich said...

Oh no! Prayers. Hope you feel better soon.

The old lady/wheelchair idea from the baby girl cracked me up.

Angel said...

Praise God it was only ribs and bruises! Praying for your healing.
Angel

Kimberly said...

You'll always be Wonder Women to me!!! Praying a quick recovery for you.
((Hugs))

Joy for the Seasons said...

So very thankful it was not worse for you! May you have much patience through the long healing process!

Rebecca said...

Praying for a speedy recovery! Glad it was not any worse!

Haha! Your daughters costume idea is priceless!

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Little Oak Table said...

oh no friend, i will be praying for you and your sweet family. that just sounds so traumtic and awful.