May 21, 2012

Business is Booming

 We have officially begun our egg business!!!  We are currently collecting about 2 dozen a day and we have sold out the past 3 weeks!  It is so rewarding to finally see our hard work come to fruition.    Most of our birds have been enjoying life at the farm since January.  They are living the high life in their 1600 ft. chicken pen.
Once we move to the farm, we will be able to let them roam the grassy area behind the pen. For now, though, they seem perfectly happy where they are.
Most of our chickens are Black Australorps  and Rhode Island Reds.  They are super gentle, people friendly, and consistent (daily) layers.  We still have some of the original chickens at our house.  They will be moving to the farm, soon, though.  Maybe one day we'll be able to join them. ;)

Now that we are selling eggs, I have had several people ask me about farm raised chickens and fresh eggs.  Ever worry if you might find a baby chick when you crack open an egg?  I'll share how you can be sure that won't ever happen again.  Come back for Chickens 101.

3 comments:

Thoughts for the day said...

We buy farm eggs too, they are actually very good, but I have worried about the inside content and if I want to boil some I go to the store and buy a half dozen from them.
Only had one bad experience but that was enough.

Kellie said...

How neat! I love their fancy pen. :) Praying you are able to join them all soon.

My Beautiful World said...

Congrats on your new business I wish you every luck in the world. Just found you lovely blog and now following you so I can visit often. I hope you have a wonderful week my new friend.

Always Wendy