October 20, 2008

Trusting His Will

We have a certain little someone at our house that is going through a phase.
When we tell him to clean up his room, he usually melts into a little puddle-of-a-boy and wails, "I caa-nn-'t do it."  He is so overwhelmed by the task at hand, he just shuts down.

He doesn't seem to grasp that the two people who love him the most in the world are not asking the impossible.  We are asking the attainable.  
We know what he is capable of and we want to stretch and grow him.

He sees a huge mess.  We see 10 light sabers and swords lying on the floor.
He sees it as a punishment.  We see it as a lesson in responsibility.

He wants the benefit and the blessing of having his own room without necessarily wanting the accountability.

My, my, my doesn't that sound familiar?
So often I hear the Lord calling me to a task, and I melt into a little puddle of self doubt and pity.  

He sees the whole picture.  I see the here and now.
He sees the long term blessing.  I see the momentary inconvenience.

I wail that I can't do it, that I'm scared of defeat.
He gently reminds me that His ways are higher than my ways.

He is not requiring the impossible.  He is providing the attainable.
Do I seek the benefits and blessings without being willing to trust His will?

What is the Lord calling you to do today?
Do you trust Him enough to obey?

14 comments:

Suzann said...

Ouch. This was a wake-up call. Thanks.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a wonderful reminder for me this morning. Oh, how I often I do the same. Have a blessed week! Jackie

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

What a truly inspired post.....oh, we have so much to trust him for in the next few months. I am excited to see how HE will stretch us (but hopefully not too much...hee hee).

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Seriously?? I just got a phone call from my husband saying that his commuter car (my high school car) is ca-put and we'll have to get rid of it and I just thought "Why God? Why now?"
But His ways are not ours and He always has a plan.
Thanks for your lovely words. Very well put!!

Kellie said...

So true... so true. Good thoughts.

Wesley went through that same thing. Now he is my little guy who goes around straightening everything in sight. He can't stand his room to be messy.. at all. Your little guy will get there, too... just like all of us with the Lord's help!

Lacy said...

Thanks so much for a reminder that I need as I fill my self with self pity and see a huge mess in front of me. I have a four year old who sees the same way....unattainable! I cant imagine how God feels when we pout and sulk and dont lean on Him for the possible. I am so glad you made me feel better before I sleep. You have a great ministry through your blog and God is using you to help me.

trish said...

When the Lord called our family to be homeschooling, I panicked. I thought, I only have a high school diploma with some college in accounting. I was not the man (lady) for the job. However I KNEW the Lord was calling me to this place. I have needed Him around every single bend in the road as we have traveled this course! Ten years later and I still need Him! I believe I am right were I need to be - reliant on a Heavenly Father who has our family in the palm of His hand. Do I still doubt my abilities? You bet! However, the more I lean into Him, the more He supplies me with what I need! :o) Amazing grace!
Sorry that I wrote a book here!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Ps. I have many other things that the Lord has had me do that I froze in my tracks! This was just a real biggy for me! :o)

Laura said...

That's a great analogy! Don't you love learning life lessons from our daily occurrences?!

Christy said...

This was my first time visiting your blog and I've had so much fun reading through some of your previous posts and looking at all your creative decorating ideas.

Thanks for your words of truth and encouragement. I will back to visit.

Sunny said...

This is so me. I can identify 100%! I request so much of Christ yet how much am I willing to give him? I'm learning though - progress not perfection (my mantra). I love your blog. Found you a while back and have just lurked for a while! The post about your daughter and the birds/bees was a riot!

Suz said...

I can just picture your little guy. He is so precious.
Thanks for the encouraging post. What a great reminder for me. I love how God uses the little people in our life to mold us and shape us.

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a great post...I loved your words...so powerful!!!

Lately, I have been struggling with discontement...the Lord has a plan for my life...but this move on our family has been hard...I sometimes look at me and not "up!"
Sandy toes

Lacy said...

I had apple dews tonight at bunco and they were fab!!! OMGosh they were made with extra big crescents and Dr. Pepper rather than Mt. Dew. Just thought I would let you know. I have had them both ways and this way was a tad bit sweeter. Didnt know you could use any type of coke. Maybe this one could be called Apple peppers!

michele said...

God's ways are perfect..thank you for the reminder. What a CUTE blog!