August 21, 2012

Steps of Faith

I've watched him Sunday after Sunday.  He slips in, always in the same seat; always wearing the same clothes, no matter the season.   I don't know his name, but I watch him praise our Father, so I call him brother.  He doesn't look like the others in the room.  He savors the free coffee a little more than the rest, which caused me to wonder his story, his plight.

A few weeks ago I learned that he is homeless.
I don't know the circumstances, but I do know that he is faithful to worship each week.

This past Sunday, I was brought to tears when I happened to see him pull out his wallet.  As the offering plate passed by, he dropped in a few dollars.
A homeless man, offering himself.
He doesn't have a home, yet he offers the Lord a true sacrifice.
A man who worships in a church with a soundboard that costs more than my home is willing to be faithful and know that his giving is a step of faith, an act of obedience... regardless the amount.
His couple of dollars was most likely more of a sacrifice than most of the crisp twenties that landed in the plate.  The widow's mite.

As I pondered his obedience, I had to reflect upon my own soul.
How much of a step of faith am I willing to take?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW.

I'm speechless. Thank you for sharing this.

Samantha said...

Amazing. What a beautiful story to share.

Mom said...

How precious this is & how precious that God allowed you to witness this. I am brought up short when we are greeting & one of the members of the Joy Class comes in & is so exuberant about being there...it is just contagious!

truth in weakness said...

how incredibly challenging. what a powerful testimony of one man's trust in Jehovah Jireh, our Lord who always provides. thx so much for sharing, gretchen.

Little Oak Table said...

Absolutly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes. How quick we are to accept God's gifts, yet hesitate to give back. Thank you for sharing this, & may God bless that man.

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet girl. I've been reading your posts. I love this one! Oh my, what sweet abandonment just to worship our precious Lord. Wow! Oh, how much we take for granted.
Continue to encourage other bloggers in the faith.
You have encouraged me!

Bonnie