March 4, 2013

Farmhouse Kitchen (an update)

It took me awhile, but after the Christmas glitter dust settled, I am finally feeling at home in my new kitchen.  Kind of like a good shoe, I had to try it on and wear it through a season before it fit.  

We've fallen into the routine of eating most meals at the island.  Special meals and weekend dinners get the "big" table.  
By adding some curtains, my whole kitchen seems a little more cozy.  The fabric is seersucker, which I had never worked with before, but I was pleased with how it turned out.  Simple with...
 A little bling on the curtain rod!

 Colors make me happy.  I used to live in a monochromatic world, but I've found that colorful accents make me hum a little more.
We chose a neutral wall color (Sherwin Williams Front Porch) so that I could have fun with, well, the fun stuff!




Resources:
Curtain fabric: Walmart         Curtain Rod: Ross
Paint: Sherwin Williams         Cabinets: Starmark
Granite: Absolute Black          Towels: Target and Kohls
Lampshade: Target                 Colander: Home Goods
Stools: Overstock.com           Photo Frame: Hobby Lobby

I'm linking up with:
Imparting Grace                          My Front Porch To Yours
Frugally Sustainable                  The Charm of Home
Home Acre Hop                         Shabby Creek Cottage
The Vintage Farmhouse           Beyond The Picket Fence
No Minimalist Here                  The 36th Avenue
Savvy Southern Style

24 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

Have I ever told you that we painted the guest room ceiling in our first home martha's front porch blue? the walls were a pale, pale, mint green, the ceiling front porch blue, and we had sheers on the windows.

It was the happiest room...especially when the windows were open blowing the curtains with the breeze. Sweet memories!

I'm in love with your colors and kitchen. It is so true that you have to cook and bake a bit before it starts to feel like home!

Kimberly said...

I want to come over and sit at the island! I so miss my sweet friends!

Amy Kinser said...

I love love love your kitchen. Those curtains are wonderful! I would have probably never chosen that fabric but I absolutely love the way they look. You did great!!!

Dawn said...

Our kitchens are very similar. I have the same bar stools and love anything in gingham. The curtains are the perfect color and touch to all a little farmhouse to the space. Great Kitchen:)

Anonymous said...

great looking kitchen! may i ask, where did you get your bar stools? thanks!

Maria said...

What a lovely kitchen! I just love those curtains!

Shannon Dingle said...

I've already told my mom that I want barstools just like yours for my birthday. :) Love the pops of color you've added!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous...I love the green seersucker curtains!....I love, love your blog!! Have a great weekend!!

Lisa said...

Your kitchen is so fresh and pretty - I adore your green seersucker curtains! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven for a visit.
xo,
Lisa

Bernideen said...

Great kitchen - love the green infusion!

Susan Shull said...

Just found your blog through Imparting with Grace, and I am so happy I did. Love your kitchen and your blog name!

SewSweetVIntage said...

Love your kitchen:) Pinned:)
http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/03/brilliant-2013.html

Karie said...

What a beautiful kitchen. Love it. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Unknown said...

Love your kitchen. It looks wonderful. What a great place to cook and love the family in. My favorite is the island table!

priscilla said...

Wow ! Beautiful kitchen !

Pamela said...

I am so in love with your farmhouse kitchen. Of course your paint name had me at Front Porch!;) Where did you find your blingy curtain rod? Thanx for coming to the party!

Lisa Lynn said...

Love your kitchen! Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you this evening at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-hop-10.html

Richella Parham said...

Oh, Gretchen, how I love your kitchen! Thank you so much for joining Grace at Home--I featured this post today! :)

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, awesome! I love the modern prints and colors added to the farmhouse tradition. It is unexpected and fresh! Will feature today at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your kitchen is wonderful. I love that big huge island. I would love to have a really big one again like my old house had. Love your splashes of color too, very pretty. Hugs, Marty

Mindy said...

Your kitchen is so sweet! I especially love the checked green curtains and farmhouse lights. It's all just like breath of spring...

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

WOW...what a beautiful space!
I love the pops of color ~ I love everything!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

oooh I love those stools. I have been searching for just the right stools and I think you have inspired me. And, the curtains are wonderful as well. I am not the greatest seamstress in the world...luckily, I am also rather forgiving of mistakes. Beautiful kitchen.

Shanee said...

Oh so pretty! Love those curtains, color and fabric. Such a happy, fresh room :)