July 20, 2010

Perfect Pound Cake

2 sticks butter 3 cups flour
1/2 c. Crisco 1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups sugar 1/4 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs

1 cup milk 2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon flavor 1/2 tsp. almond flavor*

Cream the butter, Crisco, sugar. (Now we're feeling healthy!) Mix in eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine milk and flavorings. Alternate mixing in dry/liquid ingredients to the butter mixture. Pour batter into a greased, fluted metal pan.
Place in a COLD oven. Turn heat to 325 degrees. Bake approx. 1 hour 20 minutes.

*Depending on the flavor you prefer, you can always increase the almond or lemon flavorings to suit your taste. It is flavorful enough to serve without any topping, but be my guest and add whatever your heart desires.

This recipe is originally from Southern Living, but passed to me by my dear friend Leslie who is a master cook. It is basically no-fail.

What's your favorite topping for pound cake?

8 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

Mmmmm...with 2 cups of butter and 1/2 cup of Crisco, you KNOW it has got to be good!

O Mom said...

Whip cream!!

Carpool Queen said...

This was for me! For me!!! Thanks, Gretchen.

And my favorite topping for pound cake is a slab of butter.

Amber said...

Melty powdered sugar.

Swoon.

Sandy said...

YUM! That just went on the menu for the "rehearsal dinner" party! Glad you love to make them...

Sandy said...

YUM! That just went on the menu for the "rehearsal dinner" party! Glad you love to make them...

Suz said...

I confessed to CPQ at the pool party that I had only made one cake in my life. The confession came after she asked me if I had made the pound cake. I guess the look on my face gave it away. So that I don't have to turn in my southern girl card, I just may have to attempt to make this cake. Oh wait, I don't even have a cake pan! Confessions are hard!

Little Oak Table said...

chocolate sauce and fresh strawberries!

i love pound cake! not too sweet and perfectly wonderful.